Tuesday, June 09, 2009

Home of the Prairie Dogs

Monday we drove through north Texas to Wichita Falls and then into Oklahoma. We stopped at the Welcome Center to get some maps and brochures before we arrived at Lawton/Ft. Sill. For miles we had been admiring a blanket of yellow flowers that seemed to glow in the sun. So I took advantage of the stop to take some photos of a field behind the welcome center.


At first I thought I heard some kind of bird scolding me, the way killdeers often do. Then I realized the field was actually a prairie dog town, with dozens of the creatures sitting atop their burrows, calling back and forth. Later I saw a sign that said, "please don't feed the prairie dogs." It also noted that these rodents that were so prominent in tales of the West now occupy about 1% of their former habitat. Of course, ranchers are glad about that, but I'm glad spots like this remain.

2 comments:

BipolarBunny said...

Prarie dogs are so cute.

Anonymous said...

The picture of the wild flowers was next to the picture of your quilt and I was struck by the similarity of the layered look in each picture. Hope you're having a wonderful time.
K