Thursday, June 11, 2009

Catching Up


I'm a little behind in posting, mostly because of lack of Internet on Tuesday night and being busy looking up ancestry in SW Oklahoma yesterday and today. It's good to hear that Roy did well with Monday's knee surgery and went home today. Better still to hear that Walt checked out OK when he visited his heart doctor today. And it's great that our brother (in law) Don is willing to share photos with us that he took at the reunion. Here I have posted the full, time-release shot Don took on that hot Sunday afternoon in Irving, with all present.

We had a full day on Wednesday, driving from Lawton/Ft. Sill out west through Snyder to Sayre, where my mother was born in 1913. It's also where my great grandparents on the McElyea side lived for a while between 1910 and 1917, when the state of Oklahoma was very new, and where my great-grandmother Emma died and is buried along with my great grandfather. Today I've spent a kind of frustrating day searching for traces of them in records of the Methodist Church (none) the courthouse (none) a museum (none) and the library (limited success.) I did find copies of different obituaries for both of them and I learned a little more. I also found their graves in the cemetery here. Most of this family lore will go onto Thursday's Child blog in the future, along with other stories of the 4 Great Grandmothers. But next, I need to post the rest of what we did on Tuesday back in the area of Ft. Sill.

No comments: