Friday, December 19, 2008

Inching Toward Christmas

Maybe it's the cold, or the dreary cloudy days, or the continual threat of ice, but it's hard for me to focus on getting ready for Christmas, and it's less than a week away. Today I did finish the inside tree and the Star is on top, thanks to Norm's longer arms. The Santas are on the mantel although some of them elected to join Daddy's train. I'll have photos this weekend. I'm still trying to clear some book case tops for the nativities, though. Still have 8 of them to place--somewhere. This photo is of our little Alberta Spruce in the back yard. I took it last Sunday while it was unseasonably warm, late in the afternoon.

Tomorrow we have book club, and with luck I'll also get some baking done. I've held off doing Christmas cookies until this weekend, so we wouldn't consume them all before we could share them at open houses and parties. I planned to make fudge, too, but first I have to see if cleaning the microwave will stop the annoying arcing that it began doing this evening while I cooked supper. Overnight last night, our freezing rain changed to rain and then to thunderstorms around 2 a.m. By 6 a.m. this morning the next cold front arrived with strong, gusty winds that blew down some of the red bows, the wind chime, etc. We had two brief power outages--annoying because then I just had to reset all of the clocks again. For a while the refrigerator worried me, but I shut it off completely for half an hour and then turned it on, and the compressor kicked right in. Whew! Of course, if it did conk out, we have a freezer in the basement and it's cold enough outside to preserve almost anything until spring.

No comments: