Saturday, December 06, 2008

Amaryllis Part II

Our gaggle of amarylli continue to provide us with joy. These are additions to the lone stalk I pictured earlier. It amazes me to think about how persistent and long-lived some plants can be. These bulbs are descendants of one Mom Linville gave me more than 20 years ago. She had the ancestors of these flowers who knows how long? Norm remembers an amaryllis this color blooming in the south window [Norm says it wasn't the kitchen, so I stand corrected] on the farm when he was little, more than 60 years ago. It bears a strong resemblance to a plant I found blooming in the Climatron at Missouri Botanical Garden, a native of Brazil whose botanical name I can't find now that I'm looking for it. Many family members have these flowers, including Kay and Don, whose sun room is perfect for them.

No comments: