Friday, December 31, 2010

For Auld Lang Syne: Farewell 2010

Well, it's time to say goodbye to 2010. Some people concen- trate on how bad the "old year" that is leaving has been, but tonight I'm thinking of things I can be thankful for. Last January's snow gave Norm and Ava a chance to show off their bright red knits. I know Norm is thankful for the warm leather jacket. (Recognize it, D?)

We were grateful for the chance to travel a lot this year as well. February and early March found us on the beaches of Ft. Myers and Sanibel, where it was cool, but not snowy. We got to eat out, visit a wildlife preserve and a research farm, play with Sam the poodle and hang out with two of our favorite guys.

The spring was spectacular this year, and just as we enjoyed the flowers we had planted, we also gave thanks for those that were planted by someone before we moved here. Thinking of these daffodils always reminds me to look for ways to leave something beautiful for those who will follow me.

Memorial Day weekend brought fun in the form of the Gypsy Caravan. After two years of staffing a booth for our church in drenching rain, we decided not to have one this year, and guess what, the sun came out! Norm posed with our two main bargains we found: a rolling shopping cart that is lightweight and versatile, and a hand painted bird house. When he went out to take it down after the fall freezes, he found a pile of sticks inside. Maybe next year there will be a real nest!

June found us heading to Colby for the High School Reunion, which always ends with a picnic in Fike Park. This year it was not too warm, not too windy, and people enjoyed lingering. Norm, Don and Walter look serious here, but they soon reverted to their jolly selves.

Maxine and Harold liked the easy chairs. Harold had to take a short trip to the local hospital after this afternoon in the park, but he got well soon and we are glad. Larry didn't come to the picnic but we surprised him with a birthday party at his house the next day. I think he knew something was up.

John and Nan Sanders enjoyed Nan's class party, and we crashed it to say hi. Nan autographed many copies of her first novel, All Stubborned Up, during the weekend. We are so impressed by this achievement, and glad that she is recovering more mobility every day.

We dashed home from Kansas in time to pack and fly to North Carolina. I was so thrilled to get to attend the Quad- rennial assembly, which was held in Greensboro. When 2000 women sing, or dance, or listen intently to a speaker, it sends shivers. Norm was one of about 80 men who also attended.

Elsewhere on the blog I've written about our trip to the Blue Ridge and Linville Falls, as well as to some of the country where our ancestors settled for a generation or so in the late 1700s. We were so thankful to be able to see these places, to walk on these rocks, smell this air, and wonder what it was like for those who came before us. We bought a 500-piece jigsaw puzzle that pictures the falls, and we have been working on it since Christmas night. I think we might have 20% of it done right now. Those gray cliffs look familiar!

The Blue Ridge Highway's Linn Cove viaduct is suspended over some of the more fragile hillsides in this national park. This picture reminds me that we still have roads to travel in 2011, and that with planning and care, Americans can both use the wilderness wisely and preserve it for the future.

As we close out 2010, I also am thankful for FaceBook, although I spend more time there than I spend blogging, I fear. Through the social network revolution, I've been able to catch up with all 15 of the editors of the student newspaper that I advised before I retired, as well as other staff members of that era. These are amazing young people, and I am still proud of them. I also am thankful for finding or being found by college friends (Jan in Maryland, and others) as well as a dear long-lost childhood friend (Ann, now in Dallas.) Many of my high school senior class friends are there too, and we look forward to seeing each other again, 50 years later!, in 2011.

So, as I get ready to pour a small glass of wine (from Kansas, sand plum to be exact) and get out the brass bells of sarna to ring on the front porch, to all my old acquaintances, and friends and family, may you enjoy the happiest of new year's in 2011. Love you!

No comments: