Thursday, January 14, 2010

Haiti News spreads via Blogs, Tweets & FB

I just opened my sitemeter stats, because it looked like the counter had been jump started. It was humbling to see that Home Stories had 34 visits yesterday, a huge increase. And fully half of them were from people who were doing a search for the Bentrotts in Haiti. People in Denver, Washington State, Nebraska--and one of the first hits they got was my post I threw together yesterday morning. Some came in from my link on FaceBook as well. It's just a small chip off the huge block of information sharing that is going on in this disaster. One of the most interesting feeds I found yesterday is the New York Times Lede blog, which has been turned over to Haiti coverage and it will also be constantly updated on Thursday. . You can find it here: The Lede. I've seen things there I haven't seen elsewhere, like the first link of the day to Pat Robertson's assertion on the 700 Club that a "pact with the devil" supposedly made 200 years ago to secure Haiti's independence from France is responsible for this tragedy. I will withhold my comment because it would violate Blogger's standards for decency.

Anyway, thoughts and prayers continue for everyone who is now trying to find a way to help the victims in this tragedy when there is so little infrastructure and civil organization to work with. If I see more news about the various mission partners, I'll post it as well.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am so glad your friends are ok. I have one friend, Jeannie Clubine, who is ok. She is there on a mission trip. She no longer lives in Ks, but still has family and lots of friends in GC. Another man from GC, Doug McGraw, and several others with him have not been heard from yet. Keep all of them in your prayers.
Kay

Anonymous said...

We just received word that Doug McGraw and the group with him are ok. Praise God for His protection.
Kay