Friday, May 08, 2009

Iris Time

This is turning into Iris Week, and before last night's rains came I took some photos of old friends who have reappeared in the garden. I'm not sure where the pink-and- maroon iris came from. My mother? Norm's mother? Our Ferguson yard? Were they already here? All I know is, they didn't bloom last year, and I thought we might have lost them. Apparently they were just resting.

We have a lot of purple iris. Some are darker than this one and I think we have some kind of pale lavender ones in bud--we will know in a few days. This one grows at the back of the border next to a low ground cover that right now is covered with yellow flowers, making a nice contrast.

It was a wild morning, with all kinds of thunderstorm warnings. Last night I drove through a real gully washer on the way home from a knitting fest about 10 p.m. Our rain gauge shows we got an inch in the last 24 hours. The severe storms were in southern Missouri and affected communities where we have some acquaintances. We hope they are all OK.

Tomorrow some women from my church will be here for a sewing workshop. We are going to make some items to sell at the Gypsy Caravan event on May 25. It will benefit the accessibility project at our church. Our goal is to make 50 "gypsy bags" as well as a bunch of potato baking bags, and I think I have enough fabric here (some of it donated) to crank out 20 at least. It will be interesting to see how well we can turn our house into a sewing factory for a day.

No comments: