Wednesday, February 18, 2009

I Guess the Ground Hog Was Right

We can't seem to shake winter in these parts. After a warmup to 54 this morning, we are now headed for 20 degrees tonight. Friday will warm up to 40, then 30 on Saturday for the famous St. Louis Mardi Gras. I'll be snug at the Sisters of Mercy Retreat Center, the site of this year's quilt guild retreat. I hope to post photos and information about projects from there.

Since last week Norm has started some antibiotics for a bronchial infection and I have had a physical therapy evaluation with some helpful exercises for my sore shoulder. I'm hoping we'll stop sounding like the daily halt and lame report soon.

Today I had a nice chat on the phone with a technician at TechRestore, a place in California that does speedy overnight repairs on Macs as well as PCs and it turns out that Chuck, the tech, is the same guy who worked on my G3 powerbook 4 years ago when I dropped it and it quit working. He remembered it and said it's in great shape and that he still has one in operation as well. It was the same problem this time--loose motherboard connections. The labor cost was $95 and the overnight shipping to and from $49. I also had him upgrade the memory (2 chips at $19 apiece) so I can install OSX 10.4 on my trusty little 10-year old machine. Trusty except when I drop it. For a Powerbook, it was ahead of its time. It came equipped with a DVD drive, a ZIP drive, firewire, USB and other bells and whistles and I even installed its Airport card myself. Can't wait to take it out on the road (to the aforementioned quilt retreat) after FedX delivers it here tomorrow. If you don't have access to local Mac repair and need fast, friendly, economical no-nonsense service, I recommend them: TechRestore. You can ship your Mac from any FedX Kinkos store or, for more $$, order door-to-door pickup and delivery. I packed it in its original carton, took it to a store 3 miles from me on Friday and they got it Tuesday (Monday they were closed for the holiday.) They checked it out and called me today with the repair estimate. I'll have it tomorrow. We have an Apple Store here in town but if your machine is out of warranty, they don't even want to talk to you; they want to sell you a new one. And I didn't get any price break for this unsolicited testimonial!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Maybe you could send some winter to us. We've only had about 5 days of winter. We're usually in the 50s or 60s. We need rain or snow. Hope you're both feeling much better. Your quilt retreat sounds wonderful - I thought in retirement I might quilt. Maybe retirement will come some other day I'm enjoying work right now. Don and I went to a wonderful concert last night - Wholly Brass. Better go - need to go to work.

Kay