Sunday, February 17, 2008

Catching Up: Be My Valentine

Each month this year, I am trying to gather a seasonal display for the mantel out of our various brick a brac or photos or family treasures. In January I had a blue and white theme, but forgot to take a picture before I put it away. For Valentine's Day, I got out many vintage family photos of lovers: Norm's parents, my parents, some of our great-grandparents, our wedding photo and a memorable photo of our boys, Matt and Doug.

My parents' hand- colored wedding portrait always adorned the dresser in their room and I treasure this original. The small colored photo at the lower right is of mother's grandfather and grandmother, Jesse and Emma. I hope to include their story in a family memoir some day. I have a letter Emma wrote to Jesse before they were married in 1891, bemoaning their separation. By the end of that year they were married, probably against the wishes of Emma's parents, since they exchanged vows before a justice of the peace in Memphis, across the river from their Arkansas home town.


At far left we have either a 50th or 60th wedding anniversary photo of Norm's parents. Their wedding picture, a black and white snapshot taken on a prairie homestead, is in an album somewhere. I need to get it out and scan it for the collection.

Anyway, here's to folks in love, past and present, and a belated Happy Valentine's Day. I promise to stay more up to date in the future.

No comments: