Thursday, August 31, 2006

Carnall Hall Centennial Weekend, Finale

Pure as the dawn
on the brow of thy beauty,
watches thy soul
from the mountains of God
over the fates of thy children departed
far from the land
where their footsteps have trod.
Beacon of hope
in the ways dreary lighted,
pride of our hearts that are loyal and true,
from those who adore
unto one who adores us,
mother of mothers,
we sing unto you!
--Arkansas Alma Mater

SUNDAY, AUGUST 27-- The official centennial celebration ended Saturday afternoon, but several of those who attended stayed over and many goodbyes were said after our complimentary continental breakfast in Ella's Restaurant. I left this weekend amazed at the bonds that still pull Carnall women to this place. Unfortunately, only three of us were from the era of 1960-67, and no one else from my time was here, although I know a couple of them wanted to come. The gals from 1945-1959 were ferocious in their loyalty and many of them have contributed both to the restoration effort and the scholarship, which will perpetuate the memories we all have through a new venture, educating students in a Hospitality curriculum. Carnall Hall was the epitome of Southern hospitality in its day. Although it is no longer a residence, its former residents have ensured its physical and spiritual survival, maybe even to the 150th anniversary, as centennial chairwoman Fran Nutt , class of 1950, said.

I reprinted the words of the first verse of the Arkansas Alma Mater hymn above, in part because they capture, in a somewhat antiquated idiom, the feelings of my fellow alumnae. During the Friday night dinner, one table of '40s gals and their husbands burst spontaneously into singing it, mostly in tune. For some astounding reason, we still know all the words "by heart." I printed them alongside a photo I took Saturday night of the South Tower of Old Main. This tower recently acquired a clock for the first time in the building's history. The oldest building on campus, Old Main was built in 1875. Like Carnall, it was empty and almost condemned in the 1980s, but money was appropriated to restore it and it re-opened in 1993. The chimes in the North Tower still mark the quarter hours, as they did back in 1963 when it was just a short dash from Carnall's west door to one of my English classes on Old Main's fourth floor. In those days, I almost could cover the distance in the time it took for the full Westminster chime to play and strike the hour!

All weekend one of my desires was to see what had become of my favorite room, the tiny single third-floor room I occupied my junior year. On Sunday morning as the maids were cleaning the vacated rooms, I got my chance. This picture shows the original dimensions of the room--my twin bed fit neatly just beneath the window; my dresser was on the left wall and my desk and lamp were on the right. Now the space is merely the "sitting alcove" of one of the largest (and most expensive) rooms in the Inn. In the renovation, space was taken from the adjacent attic and the room expanded--unseen at left are two queen beds and at right a spacious bath. Room 309 rents for around $195 a night, the price list says. When I was a residence hall counselor living in this quaint attic space, my room and board was free, although the rate that year was about $345 a semester. I was pleased, though, to see that my little old room still lives, and retains its marvelous view from Carnall's center top of the expanse of lawn and trees outside. A similar room across the hall didn't fare as well--it became home to an ice maker and soft drink vending machine!

I have more reflections about the memories this weekend stirred about my time in this space, but those will appear in the future on my other blog, Thursday's Child.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

that alma mater is really quite nice. and looks and reads great alongside the carnall hall shot (and yes, I still giggle at the thought of housing women and girls in a place called carnal hall). surely the kings's english style of the lyrics beats the most recent one I've heard, which by the sounds of it was written by someone with very little prosody training and even less of an ear for the finer points of gravitas and occasion. the thees and thys are perfect, as far as i'm concnered. you want a little heft to these things after all.

Anonymous said...

oops .. forgot to sign that last one. It's me ... doug