Thursday, November 11, 2010

House Plants Showing Off

Most people have Christmas Cactuses (Cacti?) although they might bloom around Thanks- giving, or maybe even close to Easter. But beginning with its second year with us, this graceful white tinged- with- orchid cactus insists on blooming within a couple of weeks after we bring it in from its summer sojourn outside. Or, as it did last year when we left it inside all summer, at Halloween. This year it is a Veterans Day Cactus. A gift from a friend many years ago, it keeps on giving.

Another friend's gift (dear DH) from 5 or 6 years ago, the rubber tree was almost as tall as I am by the time I lugged it downstairs and out to the porch in July. It threatened to outgrow the porch, so some serious trimming was in order. After I removed 4 sturdy stalks, a bevy of shorter stalks remained for a more compact plant. (Will post photos of it later.) I had read that you have to air-layer a rubber tree to get its cuttings to root since the stems are quite woody, but I didn't have the patience (or the time) to try that. And yet I couldn't throw such obviously healthy vegetation onto the compost heap. So I stuck the four stalks in some moist potting soil and waited to see what would happen. (Norm says I never met a plant I didn't want to propogate, or a cutting I didn't have to try to save.) Three of the stalks rooted, so they have become a new plant, about 2-1/2 feet tall. When I took this photo I thought I would have to use it in an advertisement: Well Behaved, Resilient Rubber Tree Needs a New Home. As much as I would LIKE having two rubber trees, there is room in the sunny upstairs window for only one. Then my plant-loving friend Lola the librarian heard about it, and today it went home with her. I hope it continues to prosper, but she has a small condo, so I also hope it doesn't completely take over her home.

Our church is having a bazaar on Saturday, and right now I'm in the process of deciding which projects I have no time to finish, so I can concentrate on the remaining ones that are doable. Watch tomorrow for some preview pictures of it. If you are in STL on Saturday, drop by Compton Heights Christian Church, 2149 S. Grand Blvd., between 10 and 4 for some great ornaments, knitted items, Gypsy bags, Fair Trade coffee, chocolate and handcrafts, plus delicious baked goods and snacks (spiced pecans, or champagne jelly, anyone?) Oh, and some fantastic chili for lunch--the day is supposed to be showery and in the low 50s, so that sounds really good!

After the bazaar: the Maple Tree. Seriously this time.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hadn't looked at our Christmas cactus for a few days, but when I looked this morning the tiny buds seen earlier are nearly ready to bloom and more tiny buds are appearing. That is always so exciting to see it burst into bloom. I always consider it a celebration of the Lord's birth. The amaryllis don't have buds yet, but they will. They're always a gift from Don's mom. Thanks for writing about some of my favorite things.
k

Ron Mylar said...

You are saying very greatly such they are blooming and they are looking very beautiful. So that many people like this for their homes.