Friday, November 19, 2010

Doris' Holiday Cactus Blooms Early

Our most venerable holiday cactus, started as a slip that Norm's Aunt Doris gave us many years ago, opened in a pink frenzy earlier this week. I didn't put it outdoors on the porch until September because the summer was so hot, and I thought maybe it would delay the blooming if it wasn't out all summer. Fat chance of that. But it has really brightened the dining room this week!


This week was less hectic than last, but still I was pushing to get some fabric cut to exchange at the Quilt Guild meeting tonight, and I have a lot to do tomorrow to get ready for the last Scrap Quilt Club meeting of the year. We will take December and January off, then start again. I hope I can take some photos of quilt blocks soon and post them. Also, I'm excited that the Linville Reunion Quilt is down to only 2-1/2 rows of blocks left. The goal of the Spanish Lake Quilters is to have it "out of the frame" before Christmas. I have enjoyed getting to know these ladies, even though we have different philosophies about some things. Quilting brings all sorts of people together.

Last night we had a steady, slow rain that amounted to only 10 or 20 points as Norm's mom would have said, but it was nice to get some moisture--October and also this month so far have been extraordinarily dry. Tomorrow is leaf raking day, and grocery day. Saturday is scrap quilts for me and book club for Norm. Sunday we will have a joint worship service with the Presbyterians in the neighborhood, followed by a carry in Thanksgiving dinner, so today I started looking at my recipe box to decide what I'm going to take. It is so hard to believe that Thanksgiving is only one week away, and we all know what comes after that. I don't think we ever quite finished putting away the Christmas decorations last winter, and here it is almost time to get them out and put them up again. Time does go faster the older you get.

No comments: