Monday, January 05, 2009

Just a Little More Christmas-11th day

When I was writing my Christmas memories in ornaments over on Thursday's Child blog the other day, I forgot to include this picture. Handed down from my Granny McElyea to Mother to me is a small box containing some dozen glass ornaments, made in Germany, that predate WWI. They are in the shape of lanterns and bells. Although very fragile, they go on the tree every year because I remember them from a huge tree that filled the corner of my grandmother's L-shaped living room when I was a child. I've never seen anything like them anywhere else, in flea markets or antique stores.

Today's adventure was getting the garage door fixed. The company that installed it a couple of decades ago for the former owner is still in business, and had a technician at our door in a couple of hours after Norm called them. Last night the door kept refusing to stay down; it would just pop back up every time we tried to close it. The fix was simple; a dislocated hinge. We went ahead and had a full service done (since we know it had been at least 8 years since anyone looked at it) and it is amazingly quiet now. Good for a few more decades at least.

My cold is about gone and the sinus infection is reluctantly giving ground to an onslaught of a generic antibiotic my doctor prescribed last Friday. Unfortunately, my intestines are giving ground, too, but yogurt and acidophilous pills seem to have restored order and calm tonight. Once this next stretch of nasty weather (freezing drizzle tonight and in the morning) is past, I am looking forward to getting out of the house and hopefully doing some shopping. I need yarn and fabric!

No comments: