Thursday, December 28, 2006

A Quilt is Finished and Amarylli Galore

Before the Christmas holiday, and before we left on the Florida trip, I was busy trying to finish a king-sized quilt for Doug and Matt that had been in the works for a long time. At left, I'm taking the last few stitches in the label on Dec. 23, before our flight.

The quilt, at right, is a Trip Around the World pattern that I learned in a class in 1990 or so. The top sat around for a long time until I decided in 2002 to add a border and present it to Doug when he finished his PhD. Hand quilting takes a long time, and I was still working on it when he graduated this spring. But it is now in Florida, where I hope he and Matt will enjoy it.


The week before Christmas we had amaryllis blooms upstairs and down. The plant at right was in our South window in the upstairs bedroom. The one below was in the dining room and came from the "mother plant" bulb and some bulblets. There were four stalks from three bulbs when we left. We also left behind two other pots full of plants loaded with buds that have probably bloomed while we were here.
Tuesday and today we have helped with packing and pre-moving activities. On Wednesday we spent the entire day on Sanibel Island, an hours' drive over and two hours back, given the traffic at this popular place. I need to crop and adjust our pictures from that adventure, so I'll post about Sanibel after we return home on Saturday. Tomorrow (Friday) is Moving Day.

No comments: