Sunday, September 30, 2007

We Have a Winner!

Back in February, I attended a weekend retreat of my quilt guild and made a table runner under the direction of our guest teacher, who also picked out the harmonious fabrics for it. Over the spring and summer, I hand-quilted it and finished it with a scalloped edge as the instructions called for, although the curved edge was a little tricky to do. It was my only finished entry for the biennial Flower Valley Quilt Show, which was held this weekend. Imagine my surprise when I arrived at the show this afternoon and my friends in quilting greeted me with smiles and said, "go look at your quilt!"

As a result of the Viewer's Choice voting on Saturday, my little table runner (at lower right in this photo, with some of the competition) received the third place yellow ribbon. I was (and am) so pleased and a little humbled because the winners in all of the categories are some of the experts in our guild, whose work I have admired since I joined in 1990. To receive any prize at all is something I have never even imagined I would do.


On Saturday many friends outside of quilting visited the show, including my aerobics instructor and friends from the water exercise class. And I got another surprise when our friends Karen and Gary from Edwardsville called on a cell phone to get directions to the show. (I think they might have voted for my entry. Thanks, guys!) The quilt in the background here also got Karen's vote for full size quilts, although it didn't win a ribbon. There were over 100 quilts in that category and more than 300 quilts in the entire show. It was a full and fun weekend.

2 comments:

debide said...

What a beautiful runner!!! I wish I had taken the time to learn to quilt. You make it look so easy...
Congratulations on this win - may it be the first of many many more.
Maybe next time you come down or we get together you could teach a "A" personality teacher how to calm down, and learn to stitch.
debi

Anonymous said...

Judy! This is wonderful! And to think that I got to see it before it was yellow-ribboned and famous!! It is, indeed, gorgeous and clearly well-quilted (the other experts - in addition to yourself! - say so.)

I've got to get back to my little knitting endeavor. It has suffered extreme inattention since early August.