Friday, June 29, 2007

Tree Frogs: The Sound of Summer

Summer is officially here! Tonight we were sitting on the front porch, talking with Barb, our neighbor, and just after dark I heard it--the raspy, sandpaper-on-bark, slightly whiskey-voiced call of a tree frog (or tree toad, some call them) in one of the oaks to the south of us. The summer croaking of tree toads brings back memories of my childhood, of summer camp, of Ozarks vacations. When we moved to this house six years ago in July we were delighted to hear these creatures calling in the night. Usually they start 'hollering' around the first week of July in these parts, so once again, Nature is keeping pretty good time.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Dave and I were eating supper in our backyard tonight and that wonderful sound from the trees surrounded us. It was like being in my grandparents back yard when I was growing up. It's a comforting sound! Ahhhhhhhh! Another amazing moment this evening ... I was watching some birds on the thistle feeder toward the back of courtyard and suddenly realized that floating still in the air about five feet in front of me was a hummingbird. It would go to the trumpet vine, drink, then come back out and hover in the air facing me. It was as if it was looking at me. Then back to the trumpet vine and back out to hover in front of me. It just took my breath away!