Thursday, March 29, 2007

Gold, Gold and More Gold

A couple of weeks ago I mentioned that we had acquired some new Holland bulbs. Today the first of the new tulips opened, and they were this glorious yellow. (We think we ordered a mixed grouping so we can't wait to see the next buds to open.) When I was a little girl, my grandmother liked to sing a song that went, "when you wore a tulip, a big yellow tulip, and I wore a big red rose." Frankly I always thought and still think that it would be rather difficult to wear a tulip corsage, but what do I know?

Keeping with today's golden theme, I stalked the thistle feeder through the back window pane and caught this goldfinch pair at lunch. They are blurry, because I probably need a real SLR camera with a real telephoto lens, instead of my 3x optical zoom on my digital Olympus. But I do the best I can. We have enjoyed watching the males molt from olive green winter drab to this bright yellow spring courting plumage with the snazzy black cap. These guys are territorial, too. He chased off several other goldfinches during this session.

Many of our daffodils are spent, but these bicolor blooms come out a bit later, and they have shade from the afternoon sun. We brought these bulbs to St. Louis from Tulsa about 15 years ago, and when we moved to our present house, we moved a clump of them again. It is always a comforting sight to see the same flowers that bloomed in my mother's garden blooming in mine. In contrast, the blossoms below are some cluster daffodils that were in our Anniversary purchase. They are blooming for the first time in the bed at the front of the porch. Norm thinks they will be his favorites...at least for now.

No comments: