Saturday, November 25, 2006

We Feast and Give Thanks

On Thanks- giving morning, while some people were watching the Macy's parade or the St. Louis parade on TV, I was dabbling in the kitchen, making pies for our Thanksgiving feast at the Myers' house later in the day. I miscalculated and tried to take a shortcut, using frozen piecrust. The pans are always too shallow for my recipes, so I had some of each mixture left over. The pecan mix bubbled to a hard ball candy stage in the small glass dish. I tried using a thawed out frozen biscuit in place of piecrust for the small pumpkin pie. (It wasn't all that tasty when Norm and I tried it later.) Anyway, the pecan was especially a hit and not a crumb was left. The white flower in the picture is our late-blooming chrysanthemum, still going strong at the end of November. Plants can amaze you.

These blooms in my upstairs closet window like having sunny days. The geranium cuttings are struggling, even with rooting hormone, and I think they are not going to make it. Meanwhile, the plants I took the cuttings from are still alive on the front porch, even after one 28-degree night a week ago. Maybe I'll just bring them in later in the week instead! The African Violets really like this spot and have bloomed almost continuously. The three spider plant babies are almost ready for a new home...maybe someplace semi tropical?


No comments: