Friday, October 20, 2006

A Week of Contrasts

This weekend we are graced by a visit from Sam, who is staying with us while the Myers family celebrates a milestone birthday in Florida. Sam has always loved our yard, possibly because he has spent most of his first three years living four stories up in downtown St. Louis as a "city" dog. Actually, Sam is a lot like St. Paul; he manages to adapt and be happy and fit in wherever he is. By the middle of next month, he'll be relocated to Florida, where he will need to learn NOT to play with alligators. (See page 80 of the Oct. 23 New Yorker for a cartoon that illustrates what I mean.) We know that Doug and Matt are both looking forward to the three of them being in the same time zone again. So for now, we are spoiling Sam and letting him enjoy what was a perfect October day in Missouri today.
It's been a while since I've written for this page, but I've written plenty this week. First there was a critique for the student newspaper, which I do each week by Wednesday. They are doing such a good job this year. Then Norm and I have both been working on some material for our church, which is getting ready to start a remodeling project that will make our building more accessible. When I was working, it was my job to write most of the time. In retirement, I get to choose most of my projects, but I'm still a procrastinator and they can pile up!

A week ago tonight, Norm and I and some other members of our church were about to freeze to death at an outdoor worship service on the Missouri River bank in St. Charles, Mo. I'm sure it was a good idea when the planners of the Regional Assembly for our denomination thought of it, but a cold snap had us shivering, even though I had five layers on. The entire weekend was very good, however, with lots of positive energy, renewing old acquaintances and friendships, and sharing stories of the Spirit's working in our respective churches. In the picture, Norm and I have just finished setting up a display in the exhibit room. It explained Open and Affirming ministries and provided lots of resources. We had some interesting conversations and a few inquiries. Our church is one of only two stated Open and Affirming congregations in Missouri, although many churches may feel they don't need to make the declaration.
Other excitement this week included the National League championship series. When we moved to St. Louis in 1973, neither of us had a particular allegiance to any major league baseball team. But this is A Baseball Town. It's impossible not to catch Cardinal fever and we were as thrilled as anyone when the team won last night and headed to Detroit for the World Series. Norm is not an addict, but I have become one. A team in the playoffs and in the Series in October cuts the severity of baseball withdrawal when the season ends and we addicts start counting the weeks, days and hours until the pitchers and catchers report to Florida in February for spring training. My dad taught me to love baseball when I was a kid, and he passed away right after an earthquake derailed the first game of the Series in 1989. He would know what I'm talking about. GO CARDS!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I like that. sam as St. Paul. His given name is Prince of Eaton. Maybe it ought to be SAINT PAUL of Eaton. -d